The Lodge’s name
“Gunyah”, from the Australian Aboriginal for 'little
hut or shelter’, belies the grandeur of this magnificent property.
Built in 1912 for the son of former Prime Minister, Sir John Hall,
the building’s exceptional calibre is endorsed by its New
Zealand Historic Places Listing. It is also recognised by the National
Business Review as one of the country’s Top One Hundred Houses
for its historical significance and its Arts and Crafts Movement
Gunyah was once part of Terrace Station, one of the biggest holdings
in Canterbury, and still retains its original granary and stables.
The Edwardian elegance of the homestead features rich mahogany
panelling, native timber beams, and floors of jarrah and rimu woods,
which, combined with generous fireplaces, create a warm and inviting
The homestead is furnished with Early New Zealand and English antiques.
The retention of some original wallpaper and period light fittings
add to Gunyah’s charm. Additionally Gunyah is home to an outstanding
collection of original leadlight windows, one of which displays
the impressive Hall coat of arms.
The verandah overlooking the garden is an ideal place to relax,
catch up on some reading, or engage in some lively discussion. Sitting
in this spot, guests often end their day listening to the resonant
song of the rare native bellbirds and marvelling at the brightness
of the Southern Cross in the clear night sky.